Friday, January 14, 2011

3 o'clock High

I was reading this article this morning, and it brought back some memories.  It's amazing how this kind of subtle hate can gauge popular mindset.
Read through the article and then see if you agree...
It reminds me of high school, with the Republicans as the preps and jocks and the Democrats as the band geeks and artsy theater kids.  We all know that kids can be cruel.  As gay people, we've heard that statement incessantly.  What alot of people fail to see is the motivation behind those hateful comments.  Most likely, it was either to establish or maintain popularity.  Making derogatory remarks strikes something in our funny bone...ask any successful comedian.  It also provides something to rally behind, allbeit a bad cause.
What I'm trying to say is that the modern political climate seems to be nothing more than a high school popularity contest.  What alot of people don't realize is that as gay adults, we are not as easily isolated as we were in high school.  We really are everywhere.  We are the jocks, the preps, the band geeks, the artsy theater kids.  Beware the Revenge of the Nerds scenario, America, and find a cause with some worth and value to everyone.  This Trojan Horse has opened and released its gay soldiers in your midst, and they are poised to fly their rainbow banners from shore to shore.
To close, someone at work once asked me if I was gay.  I replied, "O yeah!  Queerer than a two dollar bill."  He said, "Don't you mean a three dollar bill?  You can find a two dollar bill anywhere."  As I was leaving, I turned and said, "Exactly."

Namaste, my friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Well written Cian!
----Cody---