Monday, November 06, 2006

Welcome Home, Doogie...

In keeping with the seemingly universal characteristic of the gay man’s fascination with media & celebrities, I offer you this little tidbit of Hollywood gossip…though I’m sure it will surprise only those few rural gays:

This is the original posting on Canada.com that started the mini firestorm of blog entries, circa October 23, 2006:

Nepotism is alive and well in Hollywood. Former Doogie Howser star Neil Patrick Harris, 33, recently got his longtime sweetheart David Burtka, 31, a guest role on his series How I Met Your Mother (airing Wednesday nights on CH). Burtka is an experienced theatre actor (he played opposite Bernadette Peters in Gypsy on Broadway and starred in the touring company of Beauty and the Beast) but also had small parts on episodes of The West Wing and Crossing Jordan.

Harris's publicist, Craig Snyder, immediately released a statement claiming that the former Doogie Howser, M.D. was "not of that persuasion." His publicist, I’m sure, wasn’t referring to the “nepotism.”

After all of this, People magazine got an exclusive interview on Nov 3, 2006, which read:

Neil Patrick Harris is gay – and wants to quell recent reports that he had denied it. The actor tells PEOPLE exclusively:

"The public eye has always been kind to me, and until recently I have been able to live a pretty normal life. Now it seems there is speculation and interest in my private life and relationships.

"So, rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love."

Atta Gurl! Congrats, Honey! We’re proud to have you join the ranks of the brave that have come out.

No comments: